Saturday, August 16, 2008

Pistachio Pesto

I was always a little afraid of pesto. Prior to my early twenties, I was a very picky eater. This made dining at other people's tables a little nerve-wracking for me, as I lived in worry that they'd serve something that *gasp!* I wouldn't like. I finally told myself that it was impossible to die from tasting something unpleasant, and from there I blossomed. I finally tried pesto at a dinner party and realized that it was DELICIOUS and I had wasted a lot of time fearing it.

This recipe was born out of a period of time when Justin strongly suspected that he was allergic to all nuts. Except, for some reason, pistachios. I modified a standard pesto recipe to include pistachios in place of the usual pine nuts. It was later revealed that he is not allergic to any nuts, but we still much prefer this version. This pesto is great on sandwiches and pizza as well. And it freezes beautifully and defrosts quickly, so it's a great one to double for later.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup firmly packed fresh basil
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese with extra for topping
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1/3 cup olive oil
1 or 2 cloves garlic (I always go 2)
cooked spaghetti or angel hair pasta

MAKE IT:
Put all ingredients except pasta in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Cook pasta according to manufacturer instructions and combine pesto and pasta. Garnish with extra Parmesan.

Enjoy with a side of crusty garlic bread or a salad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really do want to participate in this blog. Maybe once we get settled in our new house! Yay!

April G. said...

another great pesto to try is pumpkin seed pesto. It is super easy to make and delicious! Here is the link. The photo makes it look questionable, but it is so yummy. http://www.bakingandbooks.com/2007/07/02/spaghetti-squash-with-pumpkin-seed-pesto/